Love Rocks!

living as children of God on the solid foundation of Christ

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Heroes in Our Midst

Yesterday I went on a couple of visits to two people from my church. The first is a man around 76 years old, in the hospital before heart surgery. He and his wife are the caregivers to their teenage granddaughter, while her mom works a night shift and the father is unknown. This elderly couple both remain active in our church, helping with teaching youth club, cooking and other events. Their granddaughter will begin her freshman year of high school this fall. She is a very responsible youth and is also very active around the church. I admire this family because they care for family, and care for their church family, and will do everything in their power to raise their grandchild in a Christian environment. They also provide for her financially and continue to work to pay the bills.

The other visit was to a woman turning 92 this week! She has lived in her neighborhood for so long that after a few years later the church moved in a couple homes down from her. She has since attended this church, has been a prayer warrior for our church and community, has seen all the changes this church has gone through, and either walked or drove to church every week even with a walker, until just a few months ago (until just a few months ago, people!) when getting around was becoming more difficult for her. I truly look up to her as a foundational part of this community, so positve, so cheery, so encouraging, so down to earth yet so close to God.

Part of my ministry includes pastoral visitation, and I am so touched by every person I get to meet and get to know better throughs my visits. Every life is so unique, and every story so rich and deep. I think this is why I enjoy blogsurfing so much. Even though I may not leave a comment on many of them, I pick up lots of learning and insights along the way.

"We have different gifts, according to the grace given us." Romans 12:6a

5 Comments:

  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger Barb said…

    I'm not sure who's more blessed, the two wonderful people you visited or you because you know them. Such an uplifting post. And yes, there are rich rewards to be found in every person you know.

     
  • At 4:28 PM, Blogger rena said…

    I agree with Barb...an uplifting post! Hope you don't mind new visitors. I saw your comment on "Flip Flops" blog and thought I'd come visit and say hi. I read through some of your other things and enjoyed it, so would like to come visit again, if that's ok!
    Blessings to you

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger on the Rock said…

    Welcome! And thanks both for stopping by! I very much enjoy new friendly visitors and making more friends! Thanks for the courtesy and for stopping by! Blessings!

    You're right Barb... it enriches our lives to know these kind of people!

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said…

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and giving me that great advice. I have known that now for years because I have had leg pain and back pain for some time now. I always wear good shoes. I love flip flops but I cannot wear them any longer...I just use the name because (qutie frankly, I could not come up with anything else)...I never wear anything real flat anymore!!
    I even found out that good insoles really make a difference too.
    Again, thanks for stopping by. Visiting others in your church is such a rewarding thing to do. I always find that you get the blessing!! Right?

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    As for the saints who are in the land, they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight. - Psalm 16:3

     

Post a Comment

<< Home