Love Rocks!

living as children of God on the solid foundation of Christ

Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Name of Your Blog

A Chelsea Morning is asking us : So what inspired your blog name? We'd all love to know. Just run home and do a "why I chose my blog name" post and come back here and link it. The curiosity has been killing me!

I started my blog only a couple months ago, after a couple years of blog surfing. Once we got a new computer and new internet service, I was really looking forward to getting in on this blog thing. So my husband and I brainstormed a long list of names for our blog. We took into consideration the following things about ourselves we wanted to convey through our name.

We are young at heart.

We think of ourselves as children of God. Jesus is our Rock, a solid foundation.

Our last name is Martin. So we added a tini for the wordplay.

Add to that the many Bible verses that speak about us being children of God, and the importance of living on the rock, and not on shakeable sand...

1 John 3:1-3 (The Message)
"What marvelous love the Father has extended to us! Just look at it— we're called children of God! That's who we really are. But that's also why the world doesn't recognize us or take us seriously, because it has no idea who he is or what he's up to.
But friends, that's exactly who we are: children of God. And that's only the beginning. Who knows how we'll end up! What we know is that when Christ is openly revealed, we'll see him— and in seeing him, become like him. All of us who look forward to his Coming stay ready, with the glistening purity of Jesus' life as a model for our own."

And therefore, we adopted our blog name Martinis on the Rock. And the tag line explains our meaning exactly as we mean it, and nothing else. Some anonymous bloggers tried to confuse us with evil loving people. But little did they realize they were attacking a family with a childlike innocence and a childlike faith as God would have us be.

22 Comments:

  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger Brenda said…

    Very clever! I like it very much.

    I'm glad to see that your honeybear has a face. What a cutie pie!

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Barb said…

    Absolutely, unbelievably beautifully spoken. I was one of your very first contacts and I saw the mean spirited comments you speak of. I know from the emails we exchanged that you and your husband were hurt and bewildered.

    I'm so so glad you have a forum to explain why you chose your blog name and the Godliness behind it.

    And from the bottom of my heart, I so hope the ones who were so quick to jump in on a "name" and condemn you realize now that it was unfair to judge someone on something so simple as a name. They didn't bother to get to know you at all or they would never have left that mean spirited comment.

    I'm so glad I've met you and I love what the name of your blog stands for.

    And I would remind everyone who reads this...get to know the person.

    I personally think the name of your blog is one of the cleverest I've seen. I almost wish my last name was Martin. Alas, it's Reid.

    Any ideas? Nevermind. It's not all that Godly, but I do like Chelsea.

    :-)

     
  • At 9:07 PM, Blogger Andrea said…

    Great name! This is my first time to visit your blog but I'll be back again!

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger on the Rock said…

    Brenda, as a puppy he was such a ham. But since I got the digital camera a year ago, there's something about it, he really hates it. It was pain staking to take the present shot.

    Barb, you really changed our lives by your response and support to the nasty comments. Truly, you changed our lives, and brought joy to our souls that particular day. You lifted us up, as we are a couple of goody-two-shoes at heart (it's an american expression, is that how it's spelled?). You are loved and a wonderful blessing to me!

    Andrea, you're welcome back anytime!

     
  • At 4:24 AM, Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said…

    Thanks for stopping by once again and viewing my Sunday cartoon. Just go to www.thebackpew.com You will love his cartoons. flip flop

     
  • At 6:28 AM, Blogger Susie said…

    I love your title and your blogs are so creative. This is my first time over(thanks to Barb) and I look forward to coming again soon. Honeybear is too cute!

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Blogger Barbie @ Mamaology said…

    Great play on words:) Thanks for sharing.

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Blogger Sandra said…

    I like that, that's a really clever idea :)

     
  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger Ballpoint Wren said…

    Rock Lady (and it is so much fun to call somebody "Rock Lady") I love the name of your blog. I don't see anything unChristian about it. If they were serving martinis at Cana and they ran out, I bet Jesus would've turned water into vermouth.

    Barb: "A Chelsea Morning" is lovely, but you can do a lot with your name if you want to include it in your blog title! Here are some ideas:

    Reid All About It
    Reid Between the Lines
    A Thoroughly Entertaining Reid
    Reid Us Like a Book

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice! I've seen some other bloggers doing this...she must have quite the link-ups!

    My wouldn't even fill up a whole post!

    I love flipflops...I wear them til it snows.

    I'm a mamma.

    hence: flipflop mamma

    LOL.

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger Big Mama said…

    This is my first visit here thanks to Barb. I love the name, I think it's funny and clever with a deeper meaning. Good choice!

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Pamela said…

    This is a first visit for me too. Love the thought behind your name, how wonderful...sounds like you have a strong foundation for your family to grow on and we too, are young at heart. :)

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said…

    It's a great name. So cool that you put so much thought into it too!

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Cute name. I am loving that cute doggie face that is staring at me on the previous post, too!

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger Melanie @ This Ain't New York said…

    smart play on words!

     
  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger PastormacsAnn said…

    My first drop by. I really like your blog name. Very clever. Clearly, ROCK=Christ NOT rocks=ice.

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    here from Barb's - it's nice to meet you! I don't think I've been here before.

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger Rmomof3 said…

    Very creative!
    Blessings!

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger Barb said…

    Ballpoint Wren, that cracks me up. I never ever think of the way "Reid" sounds. Four really clever plays on our name. I'm sticking with A Chelsea Morning but if I ever DO feel an uncontrollable urge to make a change, it's going to be a play on the way our last name sounds. Very very clever.

    And did you do a post and link it? Because you must know the name of your blog has got my curiosity WAY up! I'm running as fast as I can but still haven't made it to everyone who linked. I will endeavor to persevere!

    Thanks for telling me to come see this comment Rocky Lady. Hee hee. I like that. Rocky Lady.

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said…

    Very cute and nice idea for a blog name!

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Blogger Barbara said…

    A clever idea! And, nice way to show you are on the ROCK!

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    I like your name. Period. Glad Barb encouraged you. Nice blog!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home