Love Rocks!

living as children of God on the solid foundation of Christ

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My Cup is Plenty Full - Thoughts in Hindsight

"And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19)


I can't imagine life without a faith and a relationship in a loving God. The day after Christmas I often find myself finally taking a breath and saying, "Ah, we made it through and enjoyed it and were blessed." And then I looked ahead at the calendar and thought, "Oh gosh, there's still New Year's."

A part of me is often slightly nervous facing any of the yearly holidays. So much has the potential of either going wrong or not going the way we planned it. Often my imagination creates ideals of how I would like my Christmas and New Years to be spent, and not to mention Valentines or Mother's Day, birthdays, anniversaries, or even weekends for that matter. It's no wonder that some of us turn into workaholics or even busy "Marthas", perhaps so we won't have to deal with the various traps that free time and holidays can put us in.

It certainly isn't God's plan that we are put under this much pressure on Christmas. In fact, God's plan is that we are surrounded and reminded of His ultimate love for us.

But the pressure comes more from us, doesn't it. Some pressures move us further away from His loving plans. The squeeze of the commercial side of Christmas. And the squeeze of the relational side of this and any holiday. And even the squeeze from our own expectations.

And it's not so much that we are under pressure either. As I reflect back at getting ready for Christmas, it does take a certain amount of risk to be in a position of giving and receiving. There are risks in relating with others and making sure we understand one another and others understand us. Sometimes we get it right, and sometimes we blow it. And then sometimes others blow it, and we end up suffering those consequences.

However the holidays unfolded, and I was sure to take the time to be thankful to God for all that was certain and all that was enjoyed. I made the best tasting lemonade with the lemons I was dealt throughout the year. Because God is bigger than any holiday or what we do to it. And nothing can take away or diminish the true goodness and blessing behind each holiday.

You'll find more thankful expressions at Lynn's...

12 Comments:

  • At 6:13 PM, Blogger ellen b. said…

    May God continue to bless you with seeing Him in all your gatherings and being able to walk in the Spirit through any situations you face. Blessings on a New Year with Him by your side!

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Susan said…

    Happy TT!

    I love your title, "My Cup is Plenty Full"...

    God sure has been good to all of us.

    Your post was so nice, and I deal with the same pressures as well.

    Thank God Jesus makes it all work out HIS way, perfect!

    Blessings...

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad you were able to see God's hand in your celebrations this Christmas.
    Mama Bear

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Blogger Marsha said…

    I understand the self-made/man made pressures. I had a few of those at the last minute. Ouch! Thank you for your wonderful perspective.

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger Mary said…

    I like what you said...God is bigger than any holiday...AMEN! Our family has seen that first hand. Since someone in our family, myself or a couple of the kids, has been in Hong Kong on a mission trip during Christmas, we have celebrated Christmas in January when they have returned. January celebrations have been much more relaxed, a lot more spiritual, and very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing. Blessings.

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Blogger southmsmomof4 said…

    You are right, there are always risks in relating with others. Praise God all that is moved and theres no risk with Him, He knows us ( me and you), understands us inside and out. He knew us when He formed us inside of our mothers wombs. We (yes, you too) are fearfully and wonderfully made. Hey,BTW- I love fresh squeezed lemonade ;-)Be blessed
    Stacy

     
  • At 11:31 PM, Blogger Ann said…

    Thanks for reminding me where the holiday pressure comes from, especially as we get ready for round 2 of gift giving with the other side of the family!

     
  • At 5:31 AM, Blogger Speaking from the Heart said…

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I needed this reminder today.

    May the LORD abundantly bless you in 2008. May you lean on him through good times & during the storms of life.

    http://dailyreminders4me.blogspot.com/2007/12/thankful-thursday_28.html

     
  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    On The Rock,

    WOW, I could have written this for my own life. I think I create so many expectations and when they are not met.... well.... I am right there with you.

    This is a wonderful post and really spoke to me. I plan to scale back next year and not make such a big deal out of everyone else's expectations.

    Thank you for this. I needed to read it today.

    I pray God showers you with many miracles in 2008. Love and hugs, Lynn

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a wonderful article! We certainly do impose pressures upon ourselves that our creator never intended for us! And it is up to us to be responsible and monitor our own stress and reaction to those pressures!

    That post would be a wonderful addition to my brand new weekly blog carnival, The Seventh Day. Details are at hopefulspirit dot com.

    Basically, you submit your best post from the prior week, i.e., the one that you would like to spotlight. I will provide the link to it and, hopefully, you will gain some new and additional readers! Simple! It’s just my way of engaging in some community good will and helping all of us expand our audiences.

    Posts on any topic are welcome, but I certainly hope that you will submit this one!!

    Happy New Year!

    Hopeful Spirit

     
  • At 12:49 AM, Blogger Viamarie said…

    Just passing by to wish you a fun-filled new year's celebration. May your lives be blessed as you see God bring forth new things in the coming year.

    Cheers to 2008!!!

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger Deadmanshonda said…

    Wow On The Rock...you really know how to put things into perspective, don't you? I pray this new year brings you lots of blessings!

    Happy New Year!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home